Written by Brent Cesare, DPT
Integrative Physical Therapist, Scientist, and Philosopher
The intention of this blog is for me to share information in the field of Integrative Medicine and to connect people from around the world to the exploration of the science and art of treating individuals with health conditions holistically.
Topics will vary and cover a broad spectrum – as with anything holistic in nature – if you talk about any one topic and are good at connecting the various pieces, you can in fact relate anything to everything. This is because life is interconnected, which is a basic principle of systems and quantum mechanics, and to any mindful human being is in fact, self-evident.
We may discuss practical advice for orthopedic conditions such as arthritis, back pain, and sciatica and in the same breath explore the realm of mind and consciousness in the healing process. The purpose of this blog is to promote a discussion on this explosive topic that is core to all of us as the healthcare system (or more aptly called “disease care system”) is starting to change to a more integrative, systems approach because of those of us who are seeing the value in a more holistic way to manage our well-being.
There are many, many questions that we will explore together. Some are a matter of semantics and coming to an agreement with defining certain terms, such as:
- What do we mean by “Integrative” Medicine. And how does that differ from “Alternative”, “Complimentary”, “Holistic” or “Preventative” Medicine
- When we say based on “Science” and “Evidence based medicine” what does that actual mean?
- What is the difference between “prayer” and “meditation”?
- How can there be an "Art" to healing? Isn't that un-scientific?
Other questions are more philosophical in nature.
- Who Am I? Am I my body? Am I am mind or a Spirit in a body? What is the connection between these aspects of myself?
- What is the purpose of my illness/pain?
- Is consciousness primary or is it the result of brain and neural activity?
- How much responsibility should I take for my condition?
- Do emotions such as anger or guilty or fear relate to my current condition?
The above questions and topics are just a sample of a small tip of the iceberg of this vast topic. As a clinician who evaluates and treats individuals with multiple physical ailments/conditions every day of my life – I am interested in the practical application of integrative approaches that are rational, safe, effective, and based on sound science, whenever possible.
I hope you enjoy the topics and discussions. This is meant to be interactive – meaning I hope you take the opportunity to write and share your knowledge and thoughts! Taking part in the discussing is a great way to share your own insights and help enrich the experience and the journey for all of us.
You are encouraged to participate and post whenever you desire, and especially if there is a topic that you have a lot of knowledge or interest!
Until Sunday –
Peace and Blessings,
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER FOR THE LATEST UPDATES AND EVENTS AT ZENERGY PHYSICAL THERAPY.
EACH MONTH WE CHOOSE A WINNER FROM THE NEWSLETTER LIST FOR A COMPLEMENTARY AYURVEDA BODYWORK TREATMENT! ($160 value)